Does this beard make me look fat

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Only commies don't like Journey

I have a friend who used to be an intense drinker. He'd drink himself into fights, blackouts, one time he drank himself into the delusion of a boxing match in which his opponent was someone who he had really pissed off. I never hung out with him much, as his main hobby was drinking and mine just wasn't. One time he asked me to hang out with him on a weeknight, which was odd. I arrived at his house and he told me he wanted to go to the base of Sunrise Mountain. To listen to classic rock radio and watch the sprawling Las Vegas valley shimmer and hum, stirring and shaking the loose change out of the pockets of midwesterners. So I sat there with him, not knowing most of the songs. If the Beatles are the brains of the body of classic rock, your roadhouse bar staples ala Taking Care Of Business, Journey's entire recorded catalogue, Boston, etc.. is the butthole. I tried to persuade him to turn the dial, to no avail. He implored me to sing with him. The Journey song that goes "When the lights, go down, in the city"...came on, he really got worked up over that one. So I hummed along to placate him. I was a hostage to not only my friend, but to Rob Halford, Steve Perry, and the leader singer of REO Speedwagon that night. Maybe that's a Vegas drunk ritual I was unaware of. I surely hope someone is being subjected to Foregner, or Styx in the shadow of the Mormon temple right now.

1 comment:

Hellofacey said...

I think it's a drunk thing. Journey that is. Grant swears that is his favorite band along with Foreigner. He even sings that exact same song in his book while the lead character gets in a car wreck. But that's coming from a guy who's IQ is 150+ and he still got 'I am your leader, drink the Kool-Aid' tattooed on the back of his legs. To each his own.